Meet the Cast of Characters


This family tree of my ancestors, starting with my 64 known and unknown 4th-great-grandparents, shows the select group of humans who contributed the DNA whose bits I will analyze soon.

What do I know about my ancestry? 

My old blog Rueda y Fingerhut covers the history of many of my ancestral lines, including (in alphabetical order):

- Cohen family from Great Britain which settled in Bolívar Department, Colombia and the Dominican Republic.

- Davis family from Kiev governorate in Russian Empire (now Ukraine) which settled in New York City and the western United States.

- Fingerhut family from Galicia region of Austria-Hungary (now Ukraine) which settled in New York City.

- Karasov family from Poltava region of Russian Empire (now Ukraine) which settled in England, Canada, and the United States.

- Lara family from Magdalena Department, Colombia.

- Martelo family from Bolívar Department, Colombia.

- Rueda family from Santander Department, Colombia, with a specific focus on my first Rueda ancestors in Colombia during the 1600s.

- Scher family from Piotrków governorate in Russia (now Poland) which settled in New York and New Jersey.

- Vásquez family from Bolívar Department, Colombia.

I also have a post on the first DNA tests I took which revealed:
- my Y-chromosomal haplogroup of R1b
- my mtDNA haplogroup of H
- my Neanderthal genes
- and several breakdowns of my ancestral ethnicities (Geno 2.0, Insitome Regional Ancestry, and Helix Ancestry Basics). 

What do I hope to learn? 

I was inspired to use AncestryDNA by my distant cousin Jellissa Alvarado, who used her DNA matches and archival records on FamilySearch.org to find the parents and siblings of my great-great-grandfather, José Ángel Vásquez Gelis.

I've also been approached by a couple other people who shared ancestors with the same surname and place of origin as my forebears, but I lacked the records to prove or disprove a link. Some of my ancestors have unknown parents, or I only have a guess of their parents' identity, and perhaps DNA matches will explain and reveal more. Lastly, I'd appreciate any more details about my non-European ancestry (roughly one-fifth of my genetic makeup) since there is nearly nothing on it in written records.

Questions? Comments? Please email me at ruedafingerhut [at] gmail.com

Comments