Podcast Episode: "Latinas Judías y Sus Experiencias"

My 4th-great-uncle Juan José Cohen and his wife, Patricia Hernández de Cohen, c.1870s. Juan José is one of the sons of Juan Cohen, the British-Colombian merchant. Courtesy of Ernesto Rubio Cohen.

I have wonderful news: my friends Fausto Jiménez and Briar Rose Sambolin invited me to be on the third season of their Latino genealogy podcast, "Rediscovering Latinidad"! We recorded multiple episodes in July, and this new season is debuting during Hispanic Heritage Month and stretching through the end of the year. 


The first episode I am featured in is Episode 3, "Latinas judías y sus experiencias," which debuted today! It covers the topic of Latin American Jews, and was released in time for the Jewish High Holidays. And by the way, Happy 5784!

I give an overview of Latin American history, and then talk about that ever-fascinating and ever-elusive Colombian and "British" ancestor of mine, Juan Cohen (c.1786-1869). I previously wrote about him here and here and cover my overall Cohen Herrera genealogy here. Gina Goff, one of my distant Cohen relations, phoned in to the studio and it was a lot of fun to talk about the family research we have collaborated on together!

We also hear from two relatives of Briar Rose, her sister-in-law Adrienne and Adrienne's cousin Juliet, about being Puerto Rican and Jewish. We're not separately Latine and Jewish, we embrace both identities. As Briar's husband jokes, "I put Goya beans on my matzah!"

Check out "Rediscovering Latinidad" wherever you get your podcasts!

Questions? Comments? Please email me at ruedafingerhut (at) gmail.com.

Comments